Sunday, October 7, 2007

Edamame Dip

Last summer, I had a serious obsession with guacamole. I realized that it was definitely not healthy for me to be eating it on an almost-daily basis, so something had to be done to quench my craving. For reasons unbeknownst to me, edamame seemed like a good substitute. I added all the other flavors of guacamole – lime, garlic, cilantro – and, although it is not necessarily a substitute for guac, it is nonetheless a really really tasty dip.



Edamame Dip
(makes about 2 cups)
1 16 ounce bag frozen shelled edamame
1/2 - 2/3 cup lowfat yogurt
1 tablespoon canola oil
Juice of ½ lime
¼ cup loosely packed cilantro leaves
1 medium garlic clove, cut into a few pieces
¾ teaspoon salt

***************

Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add the frozen edamame. Let the water return to a boil and then cook for another 15 minutes. Drain the edamame and let it cool.

Add the edamame, 1/2 cup of yogurt, and oil to the bowl of a food processor. Process until very smooth. If the dip is stiff, add the remaining yogurt.

Add the remaining ingredients and pulse until the cilantro is finely chopped and all the ingredients are incorporated. Serve at room temperature with pita chips or crudité.

5 comments:

Nabeela said...

I'm just so glad I discovered your blog....love the pictures!!

malini said...

I buy edamame on a regular basis and I have to make this dip.

Meghan said...

i MUST try this idea because i too love guac but tend to not eat it regularly (as i do salsa) because of how "bad" it can be for me (plus devouring the bag of tortillas doesnt help matters either)...
and I love edamame...

totally on my list!

rena said...

this sounds wonderful. i've had edamame hummus before (at a restaurant called rice in brooklyn... for the record, i don't think it had tahini in it) and i adored it. i'll definitely give this a try!

roopa said...

The edamame hummus at Rice is great - I used to eat it for lunch about twice a month, so I think that may have had a part in inspiring me to make this!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...