Look, people, I apologize for the dearth of activity on here, but I haven't been feeling inspired this week. I've been a bit out of sorts due to residual jetlag and a barely-there-but-noticeable
Well, I felt slightly inspired this morning and threw together this sandwich for lunch because, quite frankly, I'm pretty damn sick of penne alla vodka. It would be silly for me to write this out as a proper recipe with measurements and all because, come on, it's just a sandwich that I made this morning. But I do think that the combination of ingredients is a good one and, having just eaten said sandwich, I can vouch that it's also a tasty one.
Spinach and Avocado
serves me at lunchtime
- Good bread – I like oatnut or 12-grain
- A few slices of Fontina cheese
- Greek yogurt (or mayo…which is what I might have used if I had any in my barren fridge because I have no qualms admitting that I love mayo on sandwiches and with my fries, or frites, if you will)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Toasted pine nuts – just a sprinkling
- A few leaves of basil – I threw these in because I accidentally shook Basil (my basil plant, clever name, huh?) and he dropped a few leaves in his anger at this agitation that had been inflicted upon him. I showed him who's boss by putting them on my sandwich.
- Avocado slices – I used an entire half because my avocado was small
- Sliced cucumber
- Sliced tomatoes (good luck finding ones that aren't pink and don't cost upwards of $3/lb – I cheaped out and got mediocre romas that are sort of red…sort of.)
- Fresh baby spinach – a big handful is plenty
Assemble all the ingredients on the bread in a manner that makes architectural sense. (You should probably do so in the order in which they are listed because, last time I checked, recipes list ingredients in the order in which they are used, right? Right.)
Slice the sandwich in half diagonally (you cannot slice it in half any other way because then you wouldn't be following my recipe, now would you) and scarf it down at mealtime, whenever that might be.