Thursday, December 20, 2007

Quick Tofu Green Curry

The fever finally broke last evening, leaving me with a seriously stuffy head and a congested chest. Not so fun, but a major improvement from the sweats and chills (gross). I couldn’t breathe very well, and I wanted something really spicy to clear out my sinuses.



I had been craving Pad Thai in the afternoon and was contemplating ordering some from the place on my corner, but the reviews on the place were very mixed and it seemed that the Pad Thai was not so good. After eating only my leftover tomato soup for lunch, I was seriously starving and needed something tasty and spicy – and quick. I rummaged in the fridge and freezer and found that I had everything I needed to make a Thai green curry, and so I did just that. It was better than what I presume the Pad Thai would have tasted like, and it helped me breathe easy, if only for a little while.



Quick Tofu Green Curry
(serves 1)
½ cup coconut milk
1 cup water
3.5 – 4 ounces extra-firm or firm tofu (¼ of a 14 ounce block)
1/8 teaspoon salt
2-3 teaspoons green curry paste (I used 3 because I wanted it really spicy, 2 teaspoons will still be plenty spicy)
2 tablespoons frozen shelled edamame
¼ cup haricots verts (I used frozen)
6-8 sugar snap peas (also frozen)
2-3 basil leaves, cut into chiffonade
1/8 teaspoon freshly grated lime zest
***************
In a small pot, bring the coconut milk and water to a boil. In the meantime, press the tofu between paper towels to remove as much excess moisture as possible. Cut the tofu into ¾” chunks (you’ll end up with 8-10). When the coconut milk mixture is boiling, add the tofu, reduce the heat to medium, and simmer uncovered for 15 minutes.
Add the edamame and simmer for 5 minutes. Add the haricots verts and sugar snap peas and simmer for another 3-4 minutes.
Remove the pot from the heat and stir in the basil and lime zest. Serve with jasmine rice.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...