Saturday, February 16, 2008

Jalapeno Cheddar Buttermilk Cornbread


I’m on the fence about cornbread. When it’s good, it’s soft, fluffy, and slightly sweet, and I totally love it; when it’s not, it’s grainy and dense and I really have no desire to eat it. That being said, I really like cornbread with chili, and I’ve always made a jalapeno-cheddar version to go along with it. However, I’ve never been really thrilled with the cornbread recipes I’ve used – they’ve all produced a dense and crumbly cornbread that, while tasty, wasn’t quite right texturally.




So, of course, I had to come up with my own, and I think it worked out great – the cornbread come out soft, fluffy, just slightly sweet, a little tangy, kinda cheesy (in a good way!), and slightly spicy – cornbread perfection!


Jalapeno Cheddar Buttermilk Cornbread
(makes one 8”x8” square)
1 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
¾ cup yellow cornmeal
1 tablespoon sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
2 eggs

¾ cup buttermilk
½ cup whole milk
4 tablespoons (½ stick) butter, melted and cooled
1 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese (about 4 ounces)
1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
***************
Preheat the oven to 400° F. Butter an 8 inch square pan and set it aside.
In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. In a small bowl, whisk together the eggs, buttermilk, milk, and butter.
Add the egg mixture to the flour mixture and stir until just barely combined. Add the cheese and jalapeno and stir to distribute evenly. Let the batter sit at room temperature for at least 15 minutes and up to 30 minutes. (This allows the cornmeal to absorb the liquid and it will result in a super-soft cornbread instead of one that is gritty.)
Pour the batter into the greased pan and spread it out evenly. Bake until the top is lightly golden brown and the edges pull away from the pan, about 16 minutes. Let the cornbread cool completely before cutting it into squares.

5 comments:

John said...

This gives me a new use for the buttermilk sitting in my fridge, which I bought for a recent chocolate chess pie I made.

Oh, have you been to the Mango Grove in Columbia? I went there last night. It's a totally vegetarian restaurant. Pretty good place!

roopa said...

John - I also had leftover buttermilk from some biscuits I made a while back, which is why I made the red velvet cupcakes and this cornbread. Why don't they sell buttermilk in smaller cartons?????

And yes I've been to Mango Grove! The food is pretty good and fulfills my cravings for South Indian food, but the service is BAD.

Manju said...

huh...i shudve made this...i made a pretty plain cornbread and its still kinda sitting there!!

Meghan said...

mmmm... i love cornbread! this looks tasty!

Carol said...

Wow, this is almost exactly like the bread I love to make, but with one small twist... instead of jalapenos I use two roasted (peeled and seeded) poblano peppers. I'll have to try it with jalapenos!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...