Thursday, March 6, 2008

I'm still here...

...I just haven't been up to any new cooking lately.

My parents came down to Baltimore this past weekend and my mom stayed here to hang out with me for a few more days. I've been doing my fair share of cooking, but I haven't made anything new - I wanted to make my mom some stuff that she had seen on here! And I'm going to NYC this weekend, so I definitely won't be doing any cooking for the next few days.

(I totally love this photo of light graffiti on the Brooklyn Bridge)

This is what I've been up to in the kitchen:
  • Sunday: Pizza bianca with portobello mushrooms and taleggio cheese (yes, it was this month's Cooks Illustrated test recipe) and a deconstructed blueberry cheesecake (from Elizabeth Falkner's Demolition Desserts - I totally love her work and I love that book)
  • Monday: banh mi chay
  • Tuesday: my mom made an awesome South Indian dinner for me, my bro, and the bf - she made dosai, sambar, coconut chutney, vada, dahi vada, and bhel puri (not South Indian, but whatever).(These two photos aren't of the food she made, but they're pretty good approximations of it!) I made a dessert that will get posted on here sometime next week - it was a take on a pavlova and consisted of a saffron-cardamom meringue, blood orange cardamom custard, and fresh blood orange slices.
  • Wednesday: Khao Soi (photos courtesy of Austin Bush) This is the third time I've made Khao Soi in the past two months and I have yet to photograph it before it gets devoured! It is just that good. One of these days I will manage to do so. Khao Soi is a Northern Thai curry noodle soup; the base (pictured above) is a sourish curry and coconut broth in which flat egg noodles and protein (usually chicken, as it is a Muslim dish, but I use tofu or mock duck) float, and it's topped off with fried egg noodles. It is served with lots of condiments that are stirred in right before eating: fried shallots, fresh shallots, cilantro, pickled bok choy, chili paste, and wedges of lime.
  • My mom and I had some awesome Khao Soi at Pok Pok in Portland and she really loved it, so I decided to recreate it for her while she was here. Since I have not yet managed to photograph it, I will leave you with many the many incarnations of Khao Soi in NYC: the guy who writes this blog is on a quest for the best version of it in NYC. I also made pumpkin bao for dessert and the recipe I used was pretty bad, so I'm going to have to come up with my own for it; I loved the concept but the final product wasn't up to my standards and the recipe required way too many alterations along the way, so the final (mediocre) product was basically a product of my own recipe.
My mom is cooking up some stuff for me today before she heads back to NY (including some baby eggplant curry) so I'm set for tonight and tomorrow, and tomorrow night I'm off to NYC, where I'm still trying to figure out where to eat this weekend (brunch on Saturday is at my old school fave, Five Points, but dinner on Friday and Saturday are still undecided).

I'll be back in the kitchen with some new stuff next week!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...