Sunday, March 16, 2008

Irish Car Bomb Float


Who needs dessert and an after-dinner cocktail when you can have both in one glass?

An Irish Car Bomb is a half pint of Guinness into which a shot glass filled with Baileys and Jameson is dropped and then chugged before it curdles. I was introduced to this drink a few years ago on St. Patrick's Day by a friend of mine who happens to be half-Irish. I love Guinness so I knew it would be good - and it was.

Old photo (September 2004) of me in front of a gate to the
Guinness brewery in Dublin - I told you I love the stuff!


I wanted to make something for St. Patrick's Day but traditional Irish fare was out of the question and I had no desire to put green food coloring in frosting and call it a holiday cupcake. I was perusing the Ben and Jerry's website the other day and when I came across Dublin Mudslide (Irish Cream liqueur ice cream with chocolate chocolate chip cookies, and a coffee fudge swirl), I remembered the Irish Car Bomb float that I had made a few years back after having tried the cocktail version. (I used Haagen Dazs Baileys Irish Cream ice cream last time so I thought I'd try a slightly different flavor this time.) The ice cream is a great stand-in for Baileys, and the chocolate in it works great with the rich flavor of the Guinness. Grab a straw and a long spoon for this float - unlike the original drink, this version is best enjoyed slowly.


Irish Car Bomb Float
(serves 1)

1 ounce Irish whiskey (preferably Jameson)
4 ounces (a big scoop) Irish Cream ice cream (I used Ben and Jerry's Dublin Mudslide but Haagen Dazs Baileys Irish Cream would be really good, too)
1 11.2 ounce bottle of Guinness

***************

Pour the whiskey into the bottom of a pint glass. Add the ice cream to the glass. Slowly pour the Guinness over the ice cream, making sure that a head forms. Serve immediately.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

interesting.

Meghan said...

now this is awesome!

malini said...

i want this

Liz said...

I love Guinness and I love ice cream. I may have to try this!

(I saw your blog on the NYTimes--it looks great.)

nadsquad said...

Roopa, I have to tell you, when I looked at some of your previous comments, I said to myself: I have to write to her-we think alike!
I too, used to love broccoli, now I never fix it at home (partly because my son hates it), samosas are problematic for me too, and I live in Brooklyn (born and bred-I like to call people like us "the few and the very proud")
you'd think I'd have no problem with the myriad choices in the South Asian food department!
And the kicker, CARROT CAKE!
Why oh why does it have to be so chunky, so godawful sweet?
I like your recipes, which I stumbled on linked to Bittman, who should really eat at my house every night, as I see him as a kindred food-spirit.
But Roopa, Guinness, whiskey, AND ice cream??
YUCK.

best to you,
Nadia
from Brooklyn, NY

roopa said...

Nadia - While I see you how you could think that alcohol and ice cream might be a bad idea, believe me when I tell you that this tastes awesome! :)

Jen said...

Just came across your blog through the NYTimes as well. If you're ever in Cambridge, MA, check out Bukowski Tavern, which has an awesome selection of yummy dark beers, and is located 2 doors down from Christina's Homemade Ice Cream... so many great flavors! This weekend we had coffee-oreo and chocolate ice cream with our stouts. Mmmm mmm....

Anonymous said...

Just found your blog via Mark Bittman's NYTimes piece today. Oddly enough, I made a variation on this last night: Bailey's + Haagen Dazs Dulce de Leche frozen yogurt. Very good! Nicer than the Bailey's Caramel flavor. I'll have to try your suggestion soon.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...