Thursday, January 27, 2011

Zorba the Beet Sandwich

Go ahead, laugh at the cheesy name of this sandwich.  I'm laughing, too.  But it's the perfect title for my favorite sandwich.  I'm a little bit obsessed with roasted beets, especially when they're marinated in balsamic vinegar.


One of my favorite sandwiches is the beet, goat cheese, and arugula sandwich from Grandaisy - mostly because it's packed with roasted beets - but I quickly grew tired of spending $7 for a somewhat small sandwich that wasn't really all that exciting in terms of flavor.


So I set out to make my own version at home using homemade focaccia and marinated roasted beets.  I decided to go with a Mediterranean/Greek set of flavors, so I added Greek yogurt (tangy and better for you than goat cheese), Kalamata olives (which make everything taste better), harissa (because I like everything spicy), parsley, and arugula.  (Do you get the name of the sandwich now?  Here's a hint.)


The end result: an awesome sandwich that blows away the one I based it on.  It's tangy, earthy, spicy, salty, and fresh with lots of greens - it's probably good for you, but you'll be too distracted by how good it tastes to care.

*****

Zorba the Beet Sandwich
makes one sandwich

5” square focaccia
1 teaspoon harissa
2-3 tablespoons Greek yogurt
6 pitted kalamata olives, coarsely chopped
2 tablespoons coarsely chopped flat leaf parsley
Balsamic beets – about 4 oz (1/4 recipe)
Large handful baby arugula

-----

Cut the focaccia in half and set aside.

Spread the harissa on the bottom half of the sandwich.  Spread the yogurt on the top half of the sandwich, the sprinkle the chopped olives over the yogurt.

Spread the beets on the bottom half of the sandwich and top with the parsley and arugula.   Assemble the sandwich and devour.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...