Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Honey-Glazed Bartlett Pear, Gorgonzola, and Walnut Salad

This is the first course I served for my Thanksgiving dinner. It’s a salad I’ve been making for years, but this year, I made it a little better by using gorgonzola dolce, which is aged for less time than regular gorgonzola cheese, making it milder and softer; it goes especially well with pears.




Honey-Glazed Bartlett Pear, Gorgonzola, and Walnut Salad
(serves 4)
2 small or 1 large Bartlett pears, cored and cut into 1” pieces
1 tablespoon honey
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1 small red onion, thinly sliced
1/3 cup lightly toasted walnuts
4 cups mixed greens
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1 teaspoon honey
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
¼ teaspoon salt
Freshly ground black pepper to taste
2 ounces gorgonzola dolce, cut into ½” pieces
***************
Toss the pears with the honey and olive oil in a medium sized bowl. Cook the pears in a skillet over medium-high heat until they are lightly browned on all sides, about 8-10 minutes.
Put the pears back in the bowl and add the onions to the skillet. Cook until softened, about 4 minutes.
Distribute the greens among 4 plates. Top with the cooked pears, onion, walnuts, and cheese.
In the same bowl in which the pears were, whisk together the balsamic vinegar, honey, olive oil, salt, and pepper. Top each serving with a spoonful of the dressing.
Serve immediately.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Mmmm ... gorgonzola, pears and walnuts. Wrap some prosciutto around it and now we're talking!

Meghan said...

this looks amazing! what a beautiful picture!

i like cheese said...

MMM. I know what I'm making for dinner tonight :)

Anonymous said...

I like salad, I took it to Capoeira.

DMD said...

I made this on Christmas and I think it was my favorite part of Christmas dinner. I would have never considered combining gorgonzola and pears. I might make it again tonight just because it was so tasty.

b.edirhan said...

I like salad, I took it to Capoeira.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...