Sunday, May 23, 2010

Detox: Day 4

I'm a few days behind!  Thursday was Day 4 of our Detox diet and it was actually one of the better food days.  I had to modify the times because I had to be at work early.





  • \6 am: Pint of room temperature water with juice of half a lemon
  • 7 am: Mug of herbal tea
  • 9 am: Peach and almond milk smoothi
  • 11 am - 8 ounce glass of coconut water
  • 1 pm - Quinoa with mushrooms, spinach, and balsamic vinaigrette
    • This was based on a recipe I found on Food and Wine for a barley, mushroom, and spinach salad.  Barley is a wheat product - not an option for this week - so I used quinoa instead.  There were actually a few other things about this dish that were not ok for this week - tomatoes, tofu, and refined brown sugar - so I omitted those and modified the dressing to include honey and I switched out the sherry vinegar for balsamic vinegar to give the dish a little more interest.  The combination of the fresh herbs (basil, mint), dressing, mushrooms, and barely-wilted spinach made this dish wonderful.  Unfortunately, I made the mistake of mixing it all together and packing it for lunch, so when I reheated it, all of the spinach completely wilted.  But it still tasted good.
  • 4 pm: Handful of almonds
    • I was supposed to have had a mug of miso soup but I was just not feeling it, so I had some almonds instead.  Oh well.
  • 7:30 pm: Roasted brussels sprouts with pea-basil soup
    • Dinner was supposed to be just pea soup, but I didn't want to use frozen peas and I didn't feel like shelling out close to $10 for the quantity of fresh peas I would need, so I halved the soup recipe (based on the one I used for the terrible broccoli-arugula soup) and had some roasted brussels sprouts on the side (just olive oil, salt, pepper, and a hot oven).  I used young garlic and mint in the soup instead of the onions that are called for in the broccoli soup, and the soup came out really great - light, refreshing, and very spring-like.  I would definitely make it again.
  • 8:00 pm: Tristar strawberries
    • Were we supposed to let the quart of strawberries we bought go to waste?  No.  So we ate them for dessert.
Day 4 was, unsurprisingly, much easier than Day 3 - we really had gotten used to the minimal meals and, while I can't speak for Matt, my cravings for bread/crackers/snacks were completely gone.  It's amazing how much your body and brain crave certain things without your realizing it.  I had no idea I was so attached to wheat products - I literally had a showdown with a box of rosemary crackers on Day 1, and I was slightly horrified how the smell of pizza was like a siren song to me on Day 2. I wasn't tempted by anything this day, though, not even the free bagels at my morning meeting.


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...