Monday, March 5, 2012

The Village Voice's Choice Eats 2012

It's that time of year again...80+ restaurants dishing up amazing food in the massive 69th Armory means only one thing: The Village Voice's Choice Eats!


I was totally overwhelmed last year - and I didn't even eat about half of the offerings - but this year's event, which is the 5th annual and is taking place next Tuesday, March 13, at 6:30 pm - is bigger and better than past years.

Among the many, many restaurants that will be at the event are some that I know and love - Dirt Candy, who will be bringing something totally awesome, as expected; Chinese Mirch, makers of surprisingly good Indian-Chinese food; Max, the Italian restaurant from which I used to live around the corner in the East Village and at which I spent many nights in my early 20s; Nicky's Vietnamese Sandwiches, makers of delicious banh mi and two of whose locations I have been lucky to live near; and No. 7 Sub, home of the messed up-sounding but absolutely amazing sandwiches - and a few that I have been meaning to try: Bi Lokma, because I will always have a fondness for Turkish food; Vandaag, the Dutch gin joint in the East Village; Singh's Roti Shop, because it's familiar yet different enough; and Tanoreen, the Middle Eastern restaurant in Bay Ridge to which I've been meaning to go to for ages but have yet to visit.

Just those restaurants sound like enough food for me, but there are so many more, and there will also be ice cream from Ample Hills Creamery, frozen yogurt from Culture, pie from Four and Twenty Blackbirds, and several others (most of the desserts are in the VIP room, which is long since sold out).

And there's also a plethora of drinks to go along with all that food.  I'm looking forward to beers from Blue Point, Sixpoint, and Troegs, and there are several wineries, a bunch of vodkas and other spirits, and several other breweries pouring beverages.

VIP tickets are sold out, but there are a few tickets left for general admission, which will give you three hours (6:30 pm - 9:30 pm) to eat and drink yourself into a tizzy.  Choice Eats sells out every year, so get your tickets now before they're all gone.  And if you see me there, say hi!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...