Saturday, November 22, 2008

Thanksgiving


This year, Thanksgiving is entirely in my hands. There will be 16 of us in total, so it's going to be quite an undertaking. Luckily, I'm a serious Type A personality, so I wrote up a detailed game plan for tackling the many things I'm making.

Actually, I'm not technically cooking on Thanksgiving - we're having our big gathering on Saturday because not everyone is able to be here on Thursday. My mom will be cooking dinner for 4 on Thursday (although I am, of course, making dessert), and we're pretending like Saturday is Thanksgiving, except we're not really pretending because the whole family will be here, so isn't that really Thanksgiving? I think it is.

Anyway, in case you haven't finalized your Thanksgiving menu yet, here are some things I've made over the past year and a half that would be at home on the Thanksgiving table; the ones that are starred are items I made for last year's Thanksgiving dinner:

Thai curried butternut squash soup
Spiced parsnip and apple soup
Orange cauliflower and Fuji apple soup with sage cream and aged cheddar tuiles*
Honey glazed Bartlett pear, gorgonzola, and walnut salad*
Maple, coriander, and pomegranate glazed acorn squash*
Macadamia lime green beans
Roasted brussels sprouts with soy-sriracha dressing and spiced puffed rice*
Roasted brussels sprouts with pomegranate and hazelnuts*
Spiked apple cider cupcakes
Pumpkin cupcakes with maple-ginger frosting

OK, back I go to finalizing my plan and writing up detailed shopping lists - prep starts tonight!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

You go, girl! Can't wait to hear about what you make this year. In the meantime I'm off to investigate your list of Thanksgiving suggestions.

malini said...

All our friends can't wait to taste Roopa's gourmet food. They have visited her blog but will be eating her food this week.

John said...

I love that pumpkin, Roopa. That looks, well, amazing!

Anonymous said...

Very Very visually appealing…great presentation

roopa said...

Full disclosure: that photo is not one I took, although I did make a pumpkin exactly like it last year for Thanksgiving (the photo is from the recipe from Gourmet magazine).

Sorry for being misleading!!!

Dawn in CA said...

That pumpkin looks amazing, and the fact that you actually made that recipe? Equally so. Back in the day, my husband and I used to host "orphan" Thanksgiving dinners for all our friends who, like us, had no family close by. Our largest was for 19 people -- it was a feast! The best part was having a great group of our friends together, sharing laughter, stories, and food. Have a wonderful holiday!

Anonymous said...

16. i didn't realize it would be that many. everybody will be free range.

Anonymous said...

Hope it goes off without a hitch!! and Happy Thanksgiving!

Anonymous said...

Can you post the receipe for the pumpkin pictured. That looks delicious. Stumbled upon your website wish I lived nearby to try your creations.

Diana in Texas

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...