Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Detox: Day 1

Over the weekend, I took a good look at the 7-day plan on Goop and I made a whole bunch of changes - namely, switching out chicken and salmon for quinoa and lentils as well as switching up the order of the days and making a few changes to the suggested items.  (This was mostly based on the fact that I need to be up at 5 am on Saturday and in good condition to sing - and sound good - in Prospect Park at 7 am, and that was likely not going to be feasible if I was subsisting on liquids alone the day before.  It was also based on the fact that the foods listed were awfully bland and I'm used to eating very flavorful and spiced foods, so steamed greens weren't going to cut it for me.)

Here's what I (actually, we) ate yesterday (Day 1).  Recipes for the items in italics are coming soon.

 Blueberry almond smoothie - photo from www.goop.com
  • 7 am: Pint of room temperature water with juice of half a lemon
  • 8 am: Mug of herbal tea (we're drinking Trader Joe's organic Renew tea, which is made with hibiscus, rosehips, licorice root, lemon peel, peppermint, nettle leaf, apple, and strawberry leaf - according to the box, it contains "a special blend of caffeine free organic herbs that help aid with digestion.  Hibiscus helps detoxify while nettle leaf has natural anti-inflammatory properties."
  • 10 am: Blueberry and almond smoothie made exactly according to the recipe on Goop
    • 1/2 cup blueberries
    • 1 1/2 cups almond milk
    • 1 scoop protein powder (we used the simplest one they had at GNC)
    • 1 tablespoon greens + probiotics powder (we used Vitamin Shoppe's BioGreens)
  • 11:30 am: 8 ounce glass of coconut water
  • 1:30 pm: Lentils with sherry vinegar, parsley, and mizuna (replaces Goop's salmon with greens)
  • 4 pm: Super greens juice made almost exactly according to the recipe on Goop.  We don't have a juicer so I used the blender and added about 1/2 cup of water to get everything moving.  This came out extremely thick and sludgy so we diluted it with water before drinking it.  It still looked like swamp sludge but it actually didn't taste all that bad.
    • 1 cup tightly packed kale leaves (I also used the upper portion of the stems)
    • 4 stalks celery (I hate celery but amazingly I couldn't taste it in this drink)
    • 1 1/2 pears, cored
    • 1" piece of fresh ginger (I left the skin on)
    • 1 lemon, zest and pith removed (I used a whole lemon because I don't know how to read directions
  • 7 pm: Herbed quinoa with balsamic beets, beet greens, and maple-coriander roasted squash
And that's it.  It was actually a ton of food and I still feel really full (at 7 am on Tuesday).  That greens juice was a beast - I'm sure if I made it in a juicer, it would have come out differently, but it ended up being about 20 ounces of sludge and then I diluted it with an equal amount of water, so it took a long time to drink and it really filled me up.  I also drank lots of water - I didn't really keep track, but it was definitely more than 8 8-ounce glasses over the course of the day.

Day 2 is a little more austere so let's see how I feel later today...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...